Thursday, December 16, 2010

The start of an idea...

Sunday, December 12, 2010
So I've always wanted to start a blog about food and recipes.  Since I'm always trying them and concocting my own, and I know several ppL that do the same...this blog is exactly for that purpose.  Samantha and I started talking about trying recipes every week or every other week.  Not to only satiate our hunger but its a simple, inexpensive way to have good conversation and spend time with friends.  We munched on guacamole that I made w/some fresh ingredients and some ready made.  Samantha had made lemon meringue pie and meringues from scratch while I was at work.  I don't have pictures or recipes of these munchies since we were just on the verge of starting this "recipe kick."  I've also wanted to always do a potluck dinner which Samantha and Ashley were talking about too, well at least for a Christmas party.  I want to take it even further and and do this once a week or every other week, I'd be happy.  I get to see my friends and family, converse and most importantly divulge in food and recipes!


Thursday, December 16, 2010
So its almost 3pm this afternoon and I'm feeling very under the weather.  One of the things I like to do if I'm not feeling well is sleep!  But if I can't for some reason, like the dogs barking at every little thing, I cook or bake.  Today I attempted a Pork Shoulder recipe that I adjusted for the crock pot and my Banana Nut Bread.


The Pork Shoulder recipe can be found on allrecipes.com:  http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/glenns-marinated-pork-shoulder/Detail.aspx


To adjust this recipe for the crock pot, I started at Step 2, scoring the Pork Shoulder for the marinade and then placing into your crock pot.  


Glenn's recipe at Step 1 was my second step.  Just pour the ingredients directly on top of and over the pork shoulder.  I suggest starting with all the liquid ingredients first, then your dry. 


Instead of a dash of Soy Sauce, I added 1/2 cup or  8 individual packets you get extra with your Chinese food.  


Instead of 2 tablespoons of Apple Juice, I added 1 cup.  


The best wine I've cooked with so far as been Martini & Rossi Asti Sparking Wine, but you can use any white Wine you like to drink with and add about 1/4 cup like the recipe says.  


Instead of White Distilled Vinegar, I used 1/2 of Apple Cider Vinegar.  


I skipped the corn syrup, worcesterhire sauce, italian-style salad dressing, onion powder, cajun seasoning and salt.  All these ingredients except for salt, I didn't have on hand.  Don't be afraid of adjusting flavor profiles because of what's available in your pantry.  I want to help you out not take away from your wallet.  Salt I'm not adding since my husband is going through a rough time with his blood pressure.  A key to healthy eating is choosing foods lower in salt and sodium.  


I did add one small, chopped Onion and minced Garlic in the scored parts of the Pork Shoulder.  


1 tsp of Molasses.  


1/2 tsp Garlic Powder.  


1/2 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes.


1/2 cup of Brown Sugar.


Our Step 3:  keep the Pork Shoulder in the crock pot for 4 hours on Low.  Turn the Pork Shoulder every hour to get a good coating on all sides.


Our Step 4:  after the 4th hour, turn the crock pot on High for about 4 to 5 hours.  (adjust high heat according to how many lbs)


Best served with Root Vegetables and Brown Rice.  Other ways can be Whole Wheat Pasta with Fresh Spinach and a dash of Pamigiano-Reggiano or in a Pulled Pork sandwich with BBQ sauce.






The Banana Nut Bread recipe can not be divulged here unfortunately since its a family secret recipe.  I can give you something I found off of SimplyRecipes.com:  http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/banana_bread/.  Its a simple recipe that anyone can pull off, just add your favorite nuts to the recipe.






A way through anyone's heart is through their stomach.  Share the recipes and share the love.



No comments:

Post a Comment