Monday, February 28, 2011

Broccoli Salad

So I haven't written for awhile.  Alot has happened since I last posted.  I just haven't been in the mood for food blogging...  I'll start off this month with a recipe I've been promising to my friend Sammie.  This one's for you Miss S.

1 raw, fresh broccoli head
raisins (can substitute dried cranberries or any sweet dried fruit you like)
white sugar
white vinegar
mayonnaise
toasted sunflower seeds
crisp bacon
nutmeg (optional)

The best way to cook bacon is in the oven on a broiler pan.  The broiler pan is 2 pieces in one where the top part is slated so the bottom part can catch the drippings.  Perfect every time!  Set aside the bacon to cool.  Start separating, cleaning, and cutting up the broccoli head in pieces.  Throw in a handful of raisins (as little or as much as you want) in the bowl with the clean broccoli.  Add about a cup of mayo, a splash of vinegar, and a few dashes of sugar.  Remember, I don't measure anything.  I go by taste.  So do not forget to taste the mix as you add so you know how much or how little you want of each.  You want just a splash of vinegar so it doesn't overpower the salad.  It helps breaks down the mayo a bit and coats the broccoli better.  Refrigerate for about an hour.  Cut up your bacon.  Before you serve salad, add the toasted sunflower seeds, bacon pieces, and I like to add a bit of nutmeg for that extra flavor.  If you don't have it, the salad tastes just as good without it.  Mix again and enjoy!!

masarap

No comments:

Post a Comment